1) For everyday basic cleaning you can use a rag or a sponge, but one thing you'll see is over a period of time you'll start getting some brown rings that will start developing around the elements so in that case you can use cook top cleaners particularly formulated for this.
2) Shake and then apply the cleaning solution directly to the surface, just enough to spread around.
3) Grab a piece of paper towel, and work the solution around in circular motions where there is buildup.
4) As it cleans and dries, it will start polishing away those burnt on particles.
5) Keep rubbing the entire stove top until the solution applied is completely dry.